Sunday, July 22, 2012

A Consistent PR

My stomach had different plans than I did this morning! I participated in the 3rd Annual Nob Hill Run this morning and tried to treat it as a regular training run.

I was trying to trick my body into thinking I was just out for a nice jaunt and not a "race".  Once my brain hears the word "race" my body goes into some weird toxic body syndrome (TBS) and I get the nerves, the runs, the dry heaves, and the speedy first mile!  I did everything I normally would when I go running on the weekend: put on my clothes, put on my watch, poop, and head out the door.  Things were going great, all the way through the first 2 miles.  If you noticed above, it was only a 5K, so I only had 1.1 miles left to go!  I was in the clear and cruising into a new PR of somewhere near 29 minutes!!

Until my stomach was like, "don't you dare try to push me this hard!"  Unfortunately, all I heard was, "wait one second, you didn't even dry heave this morning...how about NOW!"  So, I dry heaved once, twice....about 5 times until I couldn't get any air in my lungs, had to stop and run over to the curb, got sick, caught my breath, walked for a brief moment, and resumed my running.  29 minutes out the window.

I ended up crossing the finish line in 30:27...the same time I had 2 weeks ago for a PR.  At least I'm consistent!

But I'm alive!  And that's all that matters! 

~Chix

No comments:

Post a Comment