Monday, May 7, 2012

So Much For Bold Decisions

I don't have much time, but I need to give you the run down of my weekend!

Friday - I made a big bold decision to run the half marathon on Sunday...let me tell you right now that it didn't happen!

Saturday - We woke up early to go running.  I was gonna do an easy 4 miles to gauge how I felt.  After the first mile, I had to stop and walk because I couldn't breathe.  Easiest way to make a decision is when you're not breathing!  Later that afternoon at the packet pick-up I switched from the half marathon to the 10K.  Best decision I've made in a long time!  The GF also switched her race from the 5K to the 10K. 

Sunday - Our race starts at 8:30am, so we arrive about 7:45 to have time to pee twice and meet up with our friends.  The race began and with almost 1,000 runners you can only guess how congested the first couple miles were.  This I think was good so I wouldn't start too fast.  I was able to pick up the pace for miles 2 and 3, but slowed down about 15 seconds for every one of the last 3 miles.  I wore my water belt for the race so I would have access to water in case I couldn't breathe or my throat got too dry.  I never stopped running and muscled my way to the finish line in 1:03:48, suprisingly finishing under my goal time.  Although I didn't see my mom at the start line, she was waiting for me at the finish!  I grabbed some water quickly so we could see the GF finish.  She crossed in 1:20:39 (or something like that) and I was so happy for her.  She also never stopped running which I knew she wouldn't but still slightly crazy on her part, since she hasn't run more than 4 miles in about 3 months.  So proud of her though.  I think it ended up being a very successful race!

Overall - I always love Run for the Zoo because thousands of people come out to run and support our zoo.  My whole office (almost) participated and we all had a fun time.  It was pretty well organized, although the bananas and oranges were pretty far away from the finish, so it tooks us a while to find those tables AND in the packets with our shirts and bibs they only gave you 1 safety pin...how do you put your bib on with 1 pin?  I surprisingly felt better on race day than I thought I would, but I'm 100% happy with my decision to switch races!  I can only imagine how miserable I would have felt after a half yesterday!

I'll try to post more soon!

~Chix

No comments:

Post a Comment