Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Some Running Inspiration

Because it's just easier that way.  What's that, you ask?  Making excuses!  It's easier to make up an excuse than it is to do whatever it is you don't wanna do.  Today, on my way to the gym, I almost took a different exit and just drove home instead of to the gym.  Why?  Because I wanted to see the GF, because I didn't wanna work out, because I was tired, because because because!  When I parked at the gym, I almost didn't get out of the car.  Why?  Because I didn't wanna work out, because I was hungry, because I was tired, because because because.  See how easy it is!

I don't want this to become a habit though.  I need to just Shut Up and Run, but I go through this about once a week, so I figured on that day it's okay to just make something up.  I'll just log it in as a Rest Day!  I'm sure even the professionals have "rest" days!

The last few days I've been searching out running bloggers who are ultra marathoners, like people who have run 50 milers, 100 milers, or more.  I am trying to read they're race reports on these really long races so I'll have something to think about while I'm doing my half on Sunday.  I want to be able to bring these stories into my head when my race gets hard, and think to myself that I'm running a measly 13.1 miles and these folks have run races that lasted 24 hours or more!  It's amazing to know that someone can get that prepared for something.  I have so much respect for people who run longer distances than me.  I've sworn up and down that I'm a halfer for life, but to those of you who go further than me, I'm tipping my hat to you!  You're the ones that'll help me cross that finish line...you're an inspiration!

The weather is taking a turn for the worse!  A cold front is working its way into New Mexico.  I figured it was going to happen sooner or later this winter, but I was hoping it would hold off for at least one more week.  The reason this is no good is because the cold front is coming from California somewhere, which means it's passing through Las Vegas and Arizona.  I'm worried about this because we are driving to Vegas and I'm running IN Vegas.  This means that we'll definitely encounter snow on Friday in Flagstaff, then it'll be nail biting cold in Vegas.  Some people enjoy running in colder weather, but I don't like it...never have.  So, I'm doing a not so silent prayer right now and hoping that the running gods will hear me and make it a pleasant evening on Sunday!

Do you prefer warmer or cooler running weather? By warmer, I mean high 70's and higher.  Cooler, I mean below 60!

If you've ever run an ultra, what made you decide to do it?

~Chix

1 comment:

  1. I have more experience running in warm weather, but I think that I prefer cold. I read somewhere recently that most records are set at colder temps.

    I have never run an ultra and don't intend to anytime soon. I would hate to run that long. It would take some serious mental strength.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete