Tuesday, December 22, 2009

...selective hearing!

I made the mistake of telling my girlfriend that I have selective hearing, so now she thinks I "select" to never "hear" her, which would make sense because I never remember things she tells me. But I listen to her fine, I just don't remember things well. Many of my other friends can vouch for me on that, because my memory kinda sucks. I feel bad that I don't remember things, but I just say that's what she's for so I don't have to remember anything! I guess it's a good thing she repeats herself all the time, cause then I can never forget!

When we were little, my brother used to sit in front of the tv and block out everything and everyone else. He would pick and choose what he wanted to listen to. I'm pretty sure my granny has it too, cause she only really listens to me. Everyone in the family wonders why she can still understand me when I talk to her, and I'm sure it's because they all talk nonsensical stuff (nonsensical is a great word). As for me, there's just some things that I really don't care to hear and other stuff I can pick up in the middle of a concert!

Have you ever been in the situation where you don't want people to know you've heard what they've said? Like if you overheard that someone was pregnant, or someone was cheating on their loved one, or someone has lost lots of money, or someone has broken something that belongs to someone else. What are you supposed to say? Yay! or I heard! or No way! or How sad! So many choices, especially if you're a good actor. Now, although this has nothing to do with selective hearing, for some reason it reminds me of when my girlfriend tries to surprise me. We've been together for over 4 years now and she's probably been able to surprise me only 2 or 3 times because I'm just way too clever. Actually, she's not too sly, but I'm teaching her how to be stealth, and someday she's really gonna pull the wool over my eyes!

So, next time someone's trying to tell you something, think to yourself if you really care, and regardless of whether you do or not, you've already been thinking of something else, so you didn't hear a single thing the person was trying to tell you, so who cares now!

~Chix

No comments:

Post a Comment