Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Religion of Running

Most people know that I'm not a very religious person.  Now, I don't mind if others are religious and have their own gods and whatnot, but I'm not really into it.  I don't attend church, I don't really pray much, and I don't really believe in a lot of that hullabaloo!  Please don't hate me if you are very committed, just understand that we are different in that way.

Running today on the treadmill though, I realized that I am part of the Running Religion group.  That's right, there's a running religion.  And I'm pretty sure a lot of you are part of this group too.  For instance, if you've ever entered a race, you'll know that before it starts, you PRAY that you'll have a good run, you PRAY that you'll have a fast time, you might even PRAY that you don't fall on your face.  During the race you have FAITH in your legs that they'll keep moving, you have FAITH in other runners that they won't snot rocket your leg, and you have FAITH that there will be toilet paper in the port-o.  After the race, you THANK GOD for helping you cross the finish line, you THANK GOD for not having to walk during the race, and you THANK GOD for not running into anyone at the water stations. 

The Racing Gods are busy tending to the many people everyday who need that extra uumph to get out the door and run.  If I had to believe in something, I'm glad it's these guys, because they don't judge me when I'm at the back of the pack.  They watch over me as I weave through the crowds.  And they're waiting in the wings when an injury has me sidelined.  And I'm pretty sure they whisper sweet nothings in my ear every time I drink a beer, eat some candy, or skip a run...cause they know I'd rather be cursing them during the 3rd mile of a 5K 9th mile of a half marathon!

So, Here's to the Gods of Running!  May you always test my FAITH of whether my timing chip will work accurately, may you always let me PRAY that I will finish with all limbs attached, and may you always let me THANK GOD that I didn't laugh out loud when that guy totally fell on his face!

Believe in Something!

~Chix

No comments:

Post a Comment