Thursday, October 13, 2011

Running = Bullying

SPOILER ALERT: I am about to spoil the Season 2 Episode 4 of Harry's Law.  Stop reading now if a) you haven't seen it yet, or b) you don't care!

This episode has to do with cyber bullying.  Not good.  This girl has a blog and becomes labeled as the 'Snark Queen' because she talks about all her classmates and calls them out on what people may or may not know about them.  One blog post in particular is about a girl who is gay and won't come out of the closet.  This gay girl ends up committing suicide and her parents are trying to accuse the blogger girl for homicide. 

I guess that wasn't much of a spoiler, since I didn't reveal the ending!

This obviously is horrible.  I think everyone is gay, first of all, so I'm not pinpointing any one person, so please don't go kill yourself.  Second, I don't think you should have your whole school gang up on one person about an issue that is very personal to most gay individuals.  Coming out of the closet is not easy for a lot of people, but it's because the society around us isn't as accepting as we'd like.  So, if you wanna talk about it, you can talk to me!

Enough of that, but about bullying in general...running = bullying!  Why would you do this to yourself?  Why would you risk foot, ankle, knee, hip, and back problems just so you can run a few miles here and there?  Is there some sort of imbalance in our brains that justifies this crazy sport?  If someone tells you they enjoy running, they're lying.  Maybe they enjoy the freedom, the cool breeze in their face, the excitement of buying new shoes, the cool medals that you receive at the end of a race, the bragging rights for obtaining a new PR, the silent time away from the kids or animals or tv, but really, nobody enjoys actual running.  I don't enjoy it by any means, but I will tell you this...I love drinking a beer after a race, I love displaying my medals, I love telling people that I've made the half-marathon trek 5 times, I love feeling like maybe I've lost weight, I like feeling like maybe I'm faster, I like being able to say I've worked out, I sort of even like sweating, I like buying new shoes, I like the way my calves look, but make no mistake about it...I hate running.  It's a bully that I welcome into my life everyday for some godforsaken reason!

Run Hard!

~Chix

No comments:

Post a Comment