Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Conceited Much?

It happened again!  I showed up to the gym today and my machine, machine #7, was wide open for the taking, but the big smelly hairy guy was on #8 and some chick was on #6, so I opted for #5 again, which was good to me yesterday...and guess what...it was good to me today!  I had a speed workout and I ran my butt off.  I'm not gonna lie though, it was hard Hard HARD (TWSS) trying to get to the gym today!  I am tired and still trying to get over this cold and laying on the couch with my eyes closed sounded a heck of a lot better than speed work.  But, I'm so glad I went, because it's over with and I feel good!

One of the tasks for the Appreciation Challenge was to appreciate yourself daily for something along with appreciating someone else.  This is to be done because sometimes people forget to appreciate themselves sometimes, but as most of you know, I don't have this problem.  For instance, today Amanda at Run to the Finish posted about how every morning you should try to look yourself in the mirror and say something nice to yourself!  I do that already.  I look at myself every single time I pass by a mirror...and I smile!  I tell myself I'm hot or sexy or funny or silly.  I really don't lack any self confidence, nor do I skimp on the compliments I dish out to myself!  All I'm trying to say is that I really appreciate myself for being who I am!  There!  On to the other appreciation part!

I appreciate my granny.  She was the most amazing woman I have ever known!  She died 2 years ago at the age of 96 and up until the day she died she was planning her 100th birthday party!  She's seen and done it all.  She's met Eleanor Roosevelt and would always say that Eleanor "was like a daughter to me".  She was forced into the Japanese internment camps, but because of her ability to speak both Japanese and English, she became an interpreter, which I believe saved her life.  She lived through World Wars, a Great Depression, some bombings, some more wars, pot smoking hippies, the neon 80's, rapper's delight and 90's rock, and saw the turn of the century come and go as she became nothing short of a legend in my eyes.  She had connections to people all over the world and I just saw her as my granny.  She let me live with her both in high school and college and although I lived by my own rules, I appreciate her for trying to teach me life lessons.  She actually taught me how to NOT pee in the bed and I definitely appreciate her for that!  I appreciate that we used to have lunch together every Wednesday.  I appreciate her for taking me to Hawaii even though she had just been in a bad car accident.  I appreciate her for being there for ME!  I think about her most days and I appreciate that she's looking down on me today.  I appreciate that she's the reason I got addicted to running!  I love you and miss you granny!

That's me and granny in 2009!

Eleanor Roosevelt and Granny!

Back in the day when I had long curly hair AND a nose ring!
~Chix

No comments:

Post a Comment